Want to know what one of my favourite guitar teacher sayings is?
It’s the little things that make up the big things.
I use this saying a lot when talking to students about technique.
Good technique seems to be made up of lots of little elements.
It might look as if a guitarists is playing with good technique quite effortless and naturally – but in reality they’ve had to learn to do the following:
- Curve their knuckles and distal joints.
- Keep their fingers straight in relation to the frets.
- Keep their fingers close to the strings.
- Angle their pick in relation to the strings.
- Pick in a straight line between the pickups.
- Keep their pick close to the strings.
Amongst other things.
All of these little elements make up good technique and if only 1 of these important elements are missing – it can have a negative impact.